Sunday, May 01, 2005

This Blog Is Filled With Quicksand! And Soylent Green is People!

Main Entry: quick·sand

Pronunciation: 'kwik-"sand

Function: noun Date: 14th century

1 : sand readily yielding to pressure; especially: a deep mass of loose
sand mixed with water into which heavy objects readily sink

2 : something that entraps or frustrates.

I started my blog because I want to write. And potentially sell what I write. I read in a writing magazine that blogs can be incredible promotional tool, so I decided -- since I'm all about talking about Me -- that I would give it a try.

Somewhere along the line it became fun for it's own sake. I'm not just talking about the writing, but also the surfing, and the reading, and the whole leaving of the comments: to the point where I'm not focusing on actually writing the Someone Might Pay Me For This Stuff!

(What? Give up blogging? Are you mad?) I will be taking care of business a little bit more though. I love writing, and yet it seems like I'm always procrastinating. Maybe it's due to an extreme and phobic fear of failure.

Kids out there who dream of writing professionally: don't investigate the odds of success -- it ain't pretty! Although I'm strangely fixated on THIS site: http://rejectioncollection.com/ These people are even more bitter than I am -- and yet I can see my future.

Nah, I think you have to go in hanging on your belief in yourself in much the same way that Trump hangs on to the comb-over. And you need to take the rejections as they come. (I say this as one of my stories is in the "maybe" pile for an anthology, and while hoping I won't have to be taking rejection in stride over that one.)

I used to work with a girl who wanted to be a dancer. I'm not sure if she ever actually uttered the words, but my husband's imitation of her included the phrase, "I must dahnce!" Somewhere along the line I started doing an imitation of his imitation and began saying, usually apropos of nothing, "I simply must write, daaarling!"

So while I want to try hard to keep up, if you don't hear from me more than once a day, just know: I Simply Must Write Something Other Than the Blog, My Darlings!

(Plus there's the whole moving thing...)
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Sony MP3
Adopt your own useless blob! Blogcritics.org Blogwise - blog directory Who Links Here Listed on 
BlogShares Get Firefox!
Click on the graphic to vote for this
page as a Starting Point Hot Site.

      
Marriage is love.
Animal of the Day
Animal of the day by TheWebsiteOfEverything