Monday, May 16, 2005

Home

I know I've been talking a lot about moving. And I know that some of you are just getting to know me, and maybe some of it doesn't make sense to you yet.

The place I'm moving is Ely Minnesota. While I grew up in the Detroit area part of my family is from Ely, and it's always seemed like home to me. I can't explain it beyond saying that when I'm there I'm at peace.

My grandmother lives there now...it's her hometown. She came to the Detroit area during WWII to work in the factories. I sound out a couple years ago that she was a tank inspector...she would make sure all the nuts and bolts were in place. I guess some of the guys would get mad, thinking she was too picky, but she wasn't about to approve a defective tank with her brother fighting in the war.

Anyhow, she moved back to Ely in the 80s (to take care of HER mother) and I want to be close to her and able to help her out. And now it looks like it's time for that.

The town was initially a mining town. I cannot imagine working in a dark pit, and I guess suicide rates were pretty high. The town was founded by Swedes and Slavs. My family is Slovenian. My great-great uncle (I think that's right) was the sheriff for a while, and looked a lot like Clint Eastwood.

The area is also surrounded by clean lakes and beautiful forests. There are areas which have not changed since prehistoric times.There is something primitive and timeless about the area.

All of this is my way of making this song about the town make sense. The following (sappy!) song always makes me cry -- and it has a tendency to come on the radio as we are leaving the town so my hubby has to deal with extra waterworks. The song reminds of of the history and heritage of the town and all the things I love and cherish about the place that my heart calls home. I'd dearly like to share it with you all.

I Could Grow Old in Ely.

For those of you wondering about the Mukluk reference: Steger Mukluks.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Sony MP3
Adopt your own useless blob! Blogcritics.org Blogwise - blog directory Who Links Here Listed on 
BlogShares Get Firefox!
Click on the graphic to vote for this
page as a Starting Point Hot Site.

      
Marriage is love.
Animal of the Day
Animal of the day by TheWebsiteOfEverything