Sunday, September 04, 2005

Politics, Religion, and Martha Stewart.

My grandmother loathes Martha Stewart. I am pretty ambivilent, although I lean more on the liking side of the equation. I don't currently own a dish rack, having not wanted to pack the old one when we moved. I've been utterly unable to buy one in town -- the only ones they have in the few stores which sell them are massive. We went to the K-Mart in the BIG city of Virginia Minnesota. -- population 9,000ish. I found the perfect dish rack -- and of course it was Martha Stewart, and of course my grandmother told me how immoral she is (Marta -- not grannie,) and of course I left empty handed.

Should I get a tv, I think I'll rebel and watch Martha's Apprentice. I hear she made her daughter one of the judges -- takes balls. I like her more and more all the time.

I was watching Katrina coverage the other day and amidst the ruin of a house was a rather ironic/poignant sign: Martha Doesn't Live Here -- And That's a Good Thing.

Kanye West
is a jackass
. Not that I don't agree that Bush is quite probably a bigot, although I think he hates po' folk of all colors and races, there is a time and place for everything. A fundraiser like that is a time for all people of conscience to come together to help. It's a time to put partisan issues aside.

I'm not one of those people who don't think celebrities have the right to speak out on issues. I think Kanye, and the Dixie Chicks, and anyone else deserves their say. I do think that that there are appropriate times to do so though.

My thoughts are that what we are seeing is an issue of class more than race. It's also a matter of having had vital resources being used elsewhere in the world.

And as much of a jackass as Kanye is, the legal team at NBC are quite possibly more annoying. They really has to release a statement to say West's views were not the views of NBC? Um, considering his speech was clearly unscripted, and did not have the flow of a Will and Grace episode, I do believe the statement was unnecessary.

We've found a church we quite like.
It's the Methodist Church in town. We'd tried the Lutheran church, but the sermon was all about there only being one God, and how anyone else is wrong -- it's very opposed to my own beliefs. I'm not about to tell someone whose beliefs are different than my own, but every bit as strong, that I'm right and they're wrong...

Anyhow, we like the Methodist church, and most of the members, but the music is slightly torturous. Almost all the selections are old, outdated, and depressing. There was one week we sang "Morning Has Broken" (the most famous version was by Cat Stevens.) I enjoyed that. I suppose I just want to leave church feeling uplifted.

The good news is that if you have a birthday or happy announcement you get a bag of M&Ms. Chocolate is always uplifting.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who've said supportive things after we lost out 16-year-old sheltie, Cindy. I know there are people who look as tools (something to help hunt, guard, herd...)I know there are other people who can seperate pets from family. We simply love and cherish our animals and when we lose one it's rough. It's wonderful to hear from people who understand that it was a reall loss.

Of course my heart goes out to all the humans who've suffered through Katrina, but my heart also goes out to the animals. I never want to be put in a position where I have to contemplate abandoning my pets in order to survive. And I'm sickened when I imagine the terror and confusion of the animals left behind.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Sony MP3
Adopt your own useless blob! Blogcritics.org Blogwise - blog directory Who Links Here Listed on 
BlogShares Get Firefox!
Click on the graphic to vote for this
page as a Starting Point Hot Site.

      
Marriage is love.
Animal of the Day
Animal of the day by TheWebsiteOfEverything